Gas clouds / nebula effects in Rebirth?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zanzubaa
x3ap

Gas clouds / nebula effects in Rebirth?

Post by Zanzubaa » Fri, 10. May 13, 22:24

I have watched most of the video content available from X Rebirth as it is now. Some one them show some nice particle effects. It is tricky to know if what I am seeing is new effects or just window dressing (like for example an image of a space station enveloped in a gas cloud not the actual thing).

I was wondering what people are expecting for the finished game. I know poeple have been asking for gas clouds in the X games for years, myself included. I just like the idea ever since I played the game Freelancer (a saw you sigh then don't think I did'nt).

It was realistic no, but added atmosphere and immersion at least for me.

Entire systems where you cannot see more than a few killometres in front of you and sensors don't work. Radiation, asteroids, hidden pirate bases, loot. Unseen dangers. They pulled it off with the system in Freel... the game made by Microsoft beggining with F =)

Zanzubaa
x3ap

Post by Zanzubaa » Fri, 10. May 13, 22:52

I should say I think in this case less is more.

You could add 20 sectos as they are in X-AP or add 5 that are in a nebula / nebulas with hidden mine fields / pirate bases, gates who knows where. You would get more hours of game play exploring the 5.

I loved X-AP I played it for god knows how long. I always wanted more stuff to explore though. Something interesting to do while my complexes made me money =)

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Fri, 10. May 13, 23:11

X2 had volumetric nebula , and it looks like X rebirth will have it too.
there are screenshots with some faint nebula and vids were you can clearly see nebula in 3d. but it does seem like most of the backdrop will be a skybox with a nice nebula texure

Zanzubaa
x3ap

Post by Zanzubaa » Sat, 11. May 13, 02:28

It would bring alot to the game as zone design goes in my opinion. It would give a good method to split up a given sector into 'sub-zones' giving a sector a larger feel and making it more interesting.

Also it may seem obvious but it gives a way to obscure parts or all of a sector or even make them inaccessible.

It would certainly open many doors as far as sector variety and design goes.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sat, 11. May 13, 09:54

Yes, it would be nice to see the nebulas again. I especially liked what they did to your ship: shield damaging, radar blocking.

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Sat, 11. May 13, 10:35

Establish a nebula, hide a super-secret station in it and... bring a highway to it! Because, you know, we don't have a SETA now and long-distance travel is now supposed to be made with highways.

Cabrelbeuk
x4

Post by Cabrelbeuk » Sat, 11. May 13, 12:07

Night Nord wrote:Establish a nebula, hide a super-secret station in it and... bring a highway to it! Because, you know, we don't have a SETA now and long-distance travel is now supposed to be made with highways.
In fact, that's a true problem.

Can we build Highway ? Can we find another way of fast travel for hide station ?
I think it exists because without that, there will be no pirate stations.

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Sat, 11. May 13, 12:59

We cant build highways in vanilla anyway.

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Sat, 11. May 13, 14:17

Cabrelbeuk wrote:
Night Nord wrote:Establish a nebula, hide a super-secret station in it and... bring a highway to it! Because, you know, we don't have a SETA now and long-distance travel is now supposed to be made with highways.
In fact, that's a true problem.

Can we build Highway ? Can we find another way of fast travel for hide station ?
I think it exists because without that, there will be no pirate stations.
Yes, we can - just place it near the existing entry point, just like before. You know, x-universe Pirates are not fearful kind, they just don't hide.

Anyway, you may always just place a "secret Highway" somewhere far away from other objects and obstruct it with some asteroids or nebula. Yeah, one will be forced to take a boring flight, but hey that's an "exploration" part!

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Sat, 11. May 13, 18:24

I think the ship has an afterburner for fast long distance travel.

If not you could always just add something in that makes you go fast but turn really slowly, and burns ecells at a decent rate while active. Still use the highways for some things but if you have a hidden base, you could keep it supplied with cells and go to and fro quite happily.

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Sat, 11. May 13, 20:30

I think X rebirth has a cruise mode funtion like freelancer to end the rein of boring flights, i actually don't understand why they didnt implement it in previous games, now that i think of it, i requote what bernd said, "seta was an ugly heck in the past"

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Sat, 11. May 13, 23:32

Chris0132 wrote:I think the ship has an afterburner for fast long distance travel.

If not you could always just add something in that makes you go fast but turn really slowly, and burns ecells at a decent rate while active. Still use the highways for some things but if you have a hidden base, you could keep it supplied with cells and go to and fro quite happily.
Aaand... cruise engines from Freelancer!

If that's a case I'll actually be laughing - after so much years of development of The Next Big Thing EgoSoft will end up with a Freelancer (which is 10 years old! (sic!)) clone, but with (probably) worse story. That will be spectacular failure and acceptance of their own gamedesign incompetence.

Hector_919
x3tc

Post by Hector_919 » Sun, 12. May 13, 03:17

If I may add my opinion about nebulas: different kinds of effects (like decreased radar or detection range, strange engine/steering effects, shield or even Hull damage) sound nice (I only played the games since X³ Reunion - havent seen them myself), but I'd rather add some kind of 'space weather' that appears randomly and is only temprorary, like:
- solar flares (negative shield effects; Solar powerplant productions increase)
- meteor clusters flying through the sector (make sure your shields stay online)
- Ion storms (annoying for shields and sensors)
and so on...

Just to add some surprise and situations you unexpectedly have to deal with

greetings
Hector

Noahdilweed
xr

Post by Noahdilweed » Sun, 12. May 13, 03:58

You have to remember the "sector" design is way different in xrebirth. Some sectors have fog or cloud but others dont. Travel from sector to sector is seemless within a cluster but can be expidited by highway. So i think it is very possible that this idea will be implement already in its own way. Like flying from one sector (point of interest) to another and coming upon fog all of a sudden.
Spokesman for Retarded Geniuses.
"Does he fit the description?"
"I don't know...big, bad, stupid-looking."
"An exact match."

DiabloTigerSix

Post by DiabloTigerSix » Mon, 13. May 13, 11:13

X3 only had a fake and annoying in-your-face nebula effect.

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Mon, 13. May 13, 11:24

Fake? What is real?

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 13. May 13, 11:32

I think he means the gas or nebula being a weak shader effect as opposed to a simulated 3d cloud or particle structure.

elexis
x4

Post by elexis » Mon, 13. May 13, 11:43

Because there is literally nothing more performance costing than 3d volumetric clouds.

DiabloTigerSix

Post by DiabloTigerSix » Mon, 13. May 13, 12:37

elexis wrote:Because there is literally nothing more performance costing than 3d volumetric clouds.
Freelancer had it in 2003. Independence War 2 in 2001. Your point?

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Mon, 13. May 13, 23:28

X3's nebula was the worst. Because you could see the starry skybox THROUGH the nebula... That alone screws it up.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”