Would you pay more for a Steam free version of Rebirth/ DLC?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you pay more for a boxed, Steam free version of Rebirth?

Yes.
48%
No.
48%
DLC, yes.
No votes
DLC, no.
3%

Total votes: 29

greypanther
x3ap

Would you pay more for a Steam free version of Rebirth/ DLC?

Post by greypanther » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:01

There we are someone suggested it, here it is. Would you pay more for a Steam free version of Rebirth? If so by how much?
The same goes for the question of plot updates etc. ( DLC )

I certainly would be willing to bay 100% plus more than ordinary retail for a boxed, Steam free version. Same goes for the DLC! No doubt about it at all! I would also pr- order now if Egosoft like. :)

I am willing to acept any any non Steam authentication. ( I think! )

*edit* Actually that poll should have been split, you cant vote for two options! DOH! Could a mod please rectify? :)

I have asked CBJ to split the poll, don't know if he will. :) ( ie: a seperste poll for the question of DLC.)
Last edited by greypanther on Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:05

Can I read "Steam" to include any internet based system or equivalent
such as "Windows Live" or that strange thing Starcraft II uses or is it
specifically Steam in this poll?

Also can we include an option for "Internet required to play" as opposed
to initial activation?

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:11

Bloody polls are quite complex things aint they? :lol:

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:18

Nowadays, it seems to be a luxury to have games without the enforcement to use Steam.

In this respect, I´d pay double the price previous X games did cost in order to get a steamless version of X:Rebirth.

So I´d pay up to 100€ to get that version from Egosoft. I´d also make the sacrifice to wait for that Box to come out - and prepurchase it. (it makes no difference if I have to wait some months, as with Steam, I´d never have the opportunity to play X:Rebirth)
Last edited by chew-ie on Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Burneyx
x4

Post by Burneyx » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:19

I would always vote for a Steam free version.
Thx for the poll.

Greetings

Burneyx

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:45

Sensible poll, and I have voted yes.

Now, do the powers that be, wish to ratify the options as fair and honest early on, so they can be adapted before too many more people have voted?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:54

No, I'd pay for a steam free version. No more, no less.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 11:55

Voted for no.

Simple reason: Not having steam, doesn't mean there will be another disc based or online DRM. Starforce, Securom, Ubisoft's "you always have to be online"-protection, Windows Live and probably a few others are DRM or copy protection systems that I regard much worse than Steam.

navetta
x3ap

Post by navetta » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:00

this would not be fair at all, the steam/DRM free version should be the same price as the steam version.

the only case i would consider paying more would be if i could get all DLC/updaes for free.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:01

Since Steam does not make any discount from retail, no.
Right on commander !

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:06

Finally someone had the right idea.
It's not like Egosoft is on a holy crusade to promote Steam so 500 pages of bickering mean little.
In the end it's about development and support time... aka money. =P

The obvious follow-up argument is which copy protection scheme is going to be used because there will be one...
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

navetta
x3ap

Post by navetta » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:14

protections are pointless... pirates will crack anyway so why spend money for DRM?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:21

if you think drm is useless, you might want to read this site
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Also, best to steer clear of DRM in topics as they all evnetually go downhill

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:23

Yes DRM is utterly useless in any shape or form.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:24

There's anecdotal evidence out there that people will swear up and down that they'll pay more for feature x but when it comes time to actually do so, they don't.

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:29

I wouldn't pay more for a "steam free" version... Steam is perfectly functional if modding is done externally. And if Egosoft wants to appeal to ppl without internet connection (That will be hardly heard of on an online media as this forums, btw) they shouldn't go around charging them more.

Regarding DLC poll, you can really save your time... DLCs cannot be sold on a game with extensive MODing support... They are simply incompatible. And Devs have already confirmed they want to keep supporting Moding on XRB.

Don't want to start a flaming war or whatever... But as with the "full" games, the DLC world is filled with close to "scam offers" where the companies try to squeeze every single penny of their inconditional fans (The only ones that can even think on paying for "content" than can be up to 10 times more expensive than the one the base game offered).

If Egosoft takes that path with X series, you will know what will come next: Mods banning, Mod removal, more "eye candy" and less gameplay.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 12:58

ajax34i wrote:There's anecdotal evidence out there that people will swear up and down that they'll pay more for feature x but when it comes time to actually do so, they don't.
That´s simply not true. As I´m living in Germany, I´d even spent a week-end to make a trip to Egosoft HQ and fetch that special non-steam version from there.
ragamer wrote: Regarding DLC poll, you can really save your time... DLCs cannot be sold on a game with extensive MODing support... They are simply incompatible. And Devs have already confirmed they want to keep supporting Moding on XRB.
I beg to differ - Fallout New Vegas has excellent modding support AND provides (very) high quality DLCs.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Nividium

Post by Nividium » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 13:03

Steam activation is something I don't want mainly because I will be without the internet soon and won't be able to activate my copy of XRB. Why should I have to pay to get rid of something I don't want. Sounds like extortion to me.

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 13:07

I'm gonna chip in and turn up the heat. I'd pay MORE for a Steam version than box.

You say pirating is inevitable? Yes, it is. Almost. As such, a boxed version will have the nastiest ****ing countermeasures imaginable to keep the cracking groups at bay. X3R and X3TC were so hard to crack that there only ever showed up extremely few .exe versions as far as I know, judging by that we will have just as strong countermeasures this time. I didn't buy X3TC in box because I didn't want my computer filled with all that crap, I eventually bought it on Steam instead and have not felt any regret for a second. If I know a game will have nasty countermeasures I rather pay 50% more and get it on Steam.

That thing about not being able to have an internet connection that some of you claim... I call bull. You haveto be living under a rock not to have an internet connection, I REALLY DOUBT you have a gaming rig capable of playing XR and sit there like a moron offline, there might be ONE in ten thousand users of this forum that due to very unfortunate events can't have internet but can somehow afford a serious PC.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 13:12

As usual, the moment copy protection is mentioned people start discussing piracy. Sorry but you should know the rules by now.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”