Old Steam Poll posts split and 'archived'

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

the old one
x3tc

steam

Post by the old one » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 07:41

i am 65 and probably set in my ways,but my dislike of steam is i do not want 3rd party rubbish on my pc. Secondly i do not want some snotty youngster hacking into steam an stealing my credit card and personel deatails,bigger companys than steam have had it done to them,the old one

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 07:49

So 201 people so far who want nothing to do with steam.

200 people who agree with me. Wow. Who'd have thought it ? :D

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 08:15

apricotslice wrote:200 people who agree with me. Wow. Who'd have thought it ? :D
Sounds like an epiphany that may well change your life! :wink:

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 08:39

Taking into account that basicly 59% of votes are not realy against steam. I have no love for steam but as long as you keep your account safe i dont see the issue.

As for steam as a third party software, the worst they do is scan your pc for hardware for there own use which is no worse than microsoft so what are you guna do stop using windows??? A kid could hack into my bank account directly if they had that much conviction to do so. I would rather they hack steam than my account lol Actually in munitry terms my steam account is probably worth more lol
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 08:54

Observe wrote:
apricotslice wrote:200 people who agree with me. Wow. Who'd have thought it ? :D
Sounds like an epiphany that may well change your life! :wink:
I'm not sure I can cope.

I'm used to no-one agreeing with me !

dougeye, 40% against is a huge figure. Especially for a poll that has only been running a couple of days, and is only within the ranks of those who were the most interested in the new game.

If that translated into the fan base as a whole, then thats a huge bite out of the market for the game.

If it was 10%, then it could be ignored. But 40% + ?

Deepsilver, ignore that at your peril.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 09:04

Fair point, i suppose the new question should be, would you buy rebirth WITHOUT STEAM? im sure 100% would say yes! lol
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 09:10

dougeye wrote:Fair point, i suppose the new question should be, would you buy rebirth WITHOUT STEAM? im sure 100% would say yes! lol
Probably not 100% but it would have to be close. There have been several people say they wont be moving on from TC.

The important thing though, is that we are not saying "without steam". Those of us who dont want steam are saying, "do it both ways and let us all choose whats best for us".

Its like the Movie disk industry. They release on DVD and BR these days, even though BR is clearly starting to take over. But the industry is now releasing both at the same time. It would be simple for the Movie people to just decide to phase out DVD. But they havent, they adopted a duel release strategy, and they sell a lot of disks as a result.

I see the same thing in the Game industry. There are 2 main options, they should be doing both and letting each person choose.

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 10:13

salking wrote:
Alien Tech Inc. wrote:
salking wrote:can someone explain why some people don't like steam.
I do have it installed atm but i only start it when i want to play a game that requires it, and thats the only bad thing i can think of, that you have to have it running when playing games "associated" with it.

Kinda like impulse better anyway since you can handle installation, registration, activation and updating in one program and you don't even need to have it running when playing games installed with it.

at least not galactic civilizations and soase, the only games i got for it and those i got from boxed edition.
I think you answered your own question.

really, just because of that?
well not to be rude, but to dislike steam just for that seems kinda silly.
if i didn't make it clear before, i'm kinda neutral in my opinion of steam.

oh and i voted for activation and updates
Not solely because of that, but that is one reason. there are others, and if you read these previous 25 pages you'll see all the reasons why people don't want Steam.

Here is my answer from page 10
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

salking
x4

Post by salking » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 10:37

Alien Tech Inc. wrote:
Not solely because of that, but that is one reason. there are others, and if you read these previous 25 pages you'll see all the reasons why people don't want Steam.

Here is my answer from page 10
oh now I feel silly for not wanting to read the entire thread.
thats pretty much what i wanted to know.

Ill probably read through the thread again, but first one more question.

what should valve do with steam to get more approval?

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 10:48

salking wrote: Ill probably read through the thread again, but first one more question.

what should valve do with steam to get more approval?
As a start - get rid of the exclusive deals between publisher & Steam which force users to use Steam, even if they only want to buy a game.

Monocropping is certainly not the answer to "safe the PC market".

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 10:48

Don't feel silly salking, it is 25 pages after all, that puts people off reading. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Each of us have our own reasons for not liking Steam. For each of us who don't like it there are those who do. It's like the force in Star Wars, some choose the dark side some choose the light side. It's deciding which is better is the real problem.

For those who have poor internet connections ... would you still be against Steam if your connection was good? (Mine is good enough)

For those of you who want to mod ... would you be ok with Steam if it allowed you to Mod?

For those who want to be offline ... Would you be ok with Steam if you didn't need to be online to play it?

I think that covers most of those who don't want Steam, and yes, I fall into the third option there, but I want to be able to install, activate & play it without ever needing to think about using Steam.

as someone else likes to say ... just my 2 cents
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

Coolinger
x4

Post by Coolinger » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 10:52

I am a pure Steam-Gamer.
Already checking nearly every Day if Rebirth is already listed in coming soon. Ready to hit the buy button as soon as i see it

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 11:18

Part of the reason for Steam existing in the first place is because PC gamers are not standing up for the disk release. Whilst everyone continues to be led by the nose by parasite marketing companies, who tell is it is in our best interest, the internet gaming, be it Steam or cloud computing, is a self fulfilling prophecy!

As has been said regarding film dvd/br, it doesnt have to be inevitable. Internet streamed films have not been taking over, because the audience DEMANDS otherwise! :)

*edit* I must add that for me the steamworks crap would be the only thing stopping me being a guarenteed preorder. :)

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 12:59

You know, I thought I was just being a bit fussy and a little behind the times not liking steam, but I'm actually surprised that many really really don't like it!

Steam, initially at least, was horrible to use and just getting things working was a pain. I hope it's matured now...

Thing is, I have to have XR...simple as. I don't buy many games at all and the X series have been my favourites for years.

I am actually going to install Steam on my Gateway PC and see how I get on with it - hopefully my account isn't dead again... I just need to see for myself. I like to keep my Gaming PC clean of crap that wants to talk to the internet, purely because I've had far far less issues that way. However, if Steam is a must for what's likely the only game I'll buy in the first half of next year...well, I'll have to try to get used to it again.

I hope, at some point, I'll be able to REMOVE steam and still keep XR installed and working. If it's like TC you don't actually need to "install" it as such, just copy the game files creating different instances...very very useful that has been!

Would love there to be a DVD version with NO reliance on steam though.

Cheers,

Scoob.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 13:18

Nope. Anything sold from Steam (even if it is not steamworks - meaning, no fancy overlay and achievements and similar stuffs) requires Steam to launch before launching the game. The executable's hardcoded to link to steam app ;)

Scoob
x4

Steam - what do we need to know?

Post by Scoob » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 13:20

Hi,

With rebirth likely needing Steam period, or at best being supplied on DVD but using steam for authentication / updates we really need to know more about steam!

I've not used it since the early days when it was a total nightmare, failing to connect, dropping out, STOPPING you using your purchased software etc.

I understand the platform has matured a lot in the years since I tried to use it last. I'm sure also that there are many old hands here who know all the tips and tricks to get the best out of it.

What I'm hoping is that our minds can be put at rest with current information from users of Steam. So if people would like to post questions or good information here, maybe others can respond? This way we ALL get good relevant information from people who are actually using Steam right now.

Some queries that are relevant to me are:

. Can I go into an "off-line" mode after install and authentication? I'm sure the answer is "yes" but there may be some caveats to that...

. Can I copy a steam install to another machine or do I need to download all the game (gigs!!) again?

. Is there any way I can install a game with Steam, then remove Steam but still play the game?

. Do updates have to go through the Steam client or can I download (on a different machine with a faster connection for example) patches, pop them on a USB key, then apply them?

. Are there any security tools - Anti-virus/spyware etc. that don't play nice with Steam?

. Did Steam ever fix the Proxy issue? I.e. many of my PC's use a Proxy to access the internet - steam never used to be able to recognise this and ONLY worked for a direct connection.

I'm actually about to install Steam on my Gateway PC...it's an old Q6600 with a 8800GT so not too bad. Hopefully I'll be able to try out some free stuff / demos and see how I get on. This PC, being my gateway, IS of course direct connected so I cannot test the proxy stuff at this time.

Cheers,

Scoob.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 13:33

Well, thanks for merging my topic with this one where it'll likely get lost!

I was trying to create a new one where I could document MY experiences installing Steam again for the first time in ages as well as have a bit of a Q&A...seems rather silly now.

Still, as you insist, I will continue to post here...

Ok, I'll just add my first attempt in a while to use Steam!

Firstly, it assumes that if I want to select my language as "English" I must be American...lol.

Secondly, my first attempt to run it gives me the message "ERROR: you must be connected to the internet!" Well I AM connected, I assume something is blocking it - Steam doesn't appear to be bright enough to let its self through the Windows Firewall, so I guess I'll do that manually...

Not very friendly so far - I'm deliberately trying to do this as a n00b and many people haven't got a clue about firewalls etc. scary as that may be...

Scoob.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 13:36

I've had Steam since 2006 (when I found X3:R and it was the only way to get it for me) and I have never had a problem with it across multiple machines.

Answers in order:

1. Yes.

2. Yes - Steam has a backup function but it is also as easy as copying the "Steamapps" folder into the Steam installation on the other computer.

3. No that would be circumventing Steam I would think. Although it is possible to copy the folder to have multiple installs for mods.

4. None that I am aware of. It has more been a problem of anti virus not playing nice with X, MSE being a culprit in particular causing the ***Modified*** flag.

5. Yes. Also see answer to question 2 above which means you could also use a sync program to keep the Steamapps folder the same across both machines.

6. Don't know - check the Steam support forums, etc.
Last edited by vr01 on Mon, 10. Oct 11, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 13:40

Scoob wrote: Secondly, my first attempt to run it gives me the message "ERROR: you must be connected to the internet!" Well I AM connected, I assume something is blocking it - Steam doesn't appear to be bright enough to let its self through the Windows Firewall, so I guess I'll do that manually....
Windows 7?

It(Windows) should ask you the first time around if you are ok with allowing Steam do things with your internet connection.

The first thing the Steam client will do after install is make sure it is up to date.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 13:44

vr01 wrote:6. Don't know - check the Steam support forums, etc.
That is one of the key reasons I dont want steam on my computer.

I'm playing a computer game, why the hell do I need steam support forums ?

The only support forum I'd want for XR is this one right here.

The whole point of playing a game is playing the game.

Why do we need a 3rd party program that can bugger the whole thing up and then we need to be on the 3rd parties forum as well. I am so NOT going there.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”