Please, do complex. PC-complex.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OdinValhik
x4

Post by OdinValhik » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 04:04

I can give you a few example that the gamepad trump mouse+keyboard easily, like it's hard to imagine playing Ninja Gaiden with a mouse and keyboard, if being simpler is all what the gamepad is, then mouse&keyboard should be able to handle that game with no problem ... which they don't. Also don't underestimate the precision of good console .
You're probably talking about some specific console-games, that is, in your experience suited and designed for a game-pad, which is pretty much inherently a proprietary device.

When you for example want a more realistic game, like say, FSX or any *decent* simulator (we're talking about in relation to the real world), you definitively should buy a proper joystick and still use the keyboard and mouse, at least you have your own freedom to choose any of these three items independently of the brand, fitting your specific preferences.

madcow

Post by madcow » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 04:16

Mightysword wrote:Hey, we all know certain type of control scheme will work better or worse on a certain type of control, no need to do the low blow and "slang" the controller like that. :wink:
Actually, I stand by my post. I've tried out a few platform games that were ported to the PC (like Prince of Persia, this was because they released it without DRM, and I wanted to help prove to Ubisoft that DRM was unnecessary; obviously that failed), and I had absolutely no problem whatsoever to play it.

In fact, I was annoyed once when I tried out Mirror's Edge on the 360, because it actually had a button specifically for turning around 180 degrees, whereas I would presumably just have snapped round with the mouse and pressed jump again to jump off again.

Literally, the only time I've ever had a real problem with the controls (barring snapping to structures) was GTA3 or GTA4:SA, I forget which. I had to fly a helicopter up into a building, and they'd managed to map the keys so awkwardly for the keyboard that I just couldn't reliably fly the damn thing. A tiny adjustment and all would've been well, however. vOv

robalexhall
x3tc

Post by robalexhall » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 05:11

Mightysword wrote:Say the PS2 had a 7 year life span, have you ever go back and comparing the early release like Legend of Gaia II, Suikoden 3 with late tittle like Final Fantasy X-2 or Xenosaga 3?.
I play PS2 games emulated with PCSX2 in HD with texture filtering and save at any time :D

I've got nothing against consoles, console games or console gamers... some are even my friends despite their macbooks and consoles :P

I was disputing the suggestion that: designing for the controller comes without compromises, is somehow the hallmark of good design, and is the best control method for games of all types even first person, sims and strategy.

... ... I'm only surprised we're still arguing about this :wink:

And yup GTA games are crappy with mouse... gamepads are good for driving games for sure (probably would be optimal for driving in reality too). On the other hand moving with one thumb and looking/aiming with the other is horrible.

rusky
x4

Post by rusky » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 09:05

I have never had any issues playing any game using mouse and keyboard, that was not a terribly made console port.

Also, if you custom build yourself a top of the line PC, you will not see frame drops in 6 months time, and if you do it's again because games are ported over to the PC, badly.
And the only reason consoles don't experience frame drops is not because the games made for consoles are somehow super optimised and better coded, but because the developers are so restricted in terms of what they can do that they always have to keep close to the same level of GFX that the console can actually support.

As others have stated, I would HATE to have to drive my car around with a controller.

I don't like console games. Yes, i'm not very objective here, but it had to be said. I hate the reduced complexity, I hate how everything in these games has been reduced to 2 button actions or quick time events.
I LOATHE THE BLOODY MENU INTERFACES. I have a mouse, I should be able to click and drag those new boots on my character not have to use 3 buttons and a scroll (which sometimes doesn't even respond to my mouse).

I for one do not want X:Rebirth to have anything to do with consoles.
I cannot think of one good thing that has ever come from console games. Not one.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:44

If we can attach a keybard to the console then that wont be different. Console games are hard to update.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Hrodeth
x3tc

Post by Hrodeth » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 19:20

Consoles aren't what y'all should be worried about. Cloud gaming is about to replace all hardware systems (sadly).

Don't like the route our technology is going.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 21:20

Hrodeth wrote:Consoles aren't what y'all should be worried about. Cloud gaming is about to replace all hardware systems (sadly).
I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. It's cheaper to game on a console, and you get better graphics if you play a game on a decent PC...until every gamer in the world has a superfast broadband connection, I don't see cloud gaming taking over.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 21:27

Do you mean services such as OnLive.

Well that is handy for people with low spec computers wanting to play the latest games. Tho as it stands the input lag is a problem and the visual quality is questionable to some. It probably is about the same as playing a console version quality wise i.e all the bells and whistles turned off.

Might be nice for some but any decent pc user who has a nice system (alot of us out there) wouldn't use such a service. Due to our comps being able to play them better locally.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”