Linux!

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fallenphoenix32
x3tc

Post by fallenphoenix32 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:36

Nearly all my Linux experience is through a command shell, but from what I understand, Wine has done a pretty good job of emulating DirectX9, so at least the possibility of compatibility is there. Have hope, open source nuts :P

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 20:47

Koruth wrote:If it's any help at all, x3tc works pretty well in wine. If the engine's at all similar, XR should work pretty well with it too.
All what's needed, all what's we are asking for is to contact with the WINE devs when XR comes to beta. :thumb_up:

ZeePal
x4

Post by ZeePal » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 00:19

Another for Tux support!:!:!
ZeePal

rzadzins
x3ap

Post by rzadzins » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 15:44

Dear all Linux supporters!

Perhaps the game will work on wine ok. If not, perhaps it will need some help from us:

Wine offer the possibility to vote on bugs - the ones with most votes get resolved quicker. Perhaps we could all register and vote on the ones affecting XR ;)

Lets keep this thread and report our findings once the game (or a demo or beta) gets released.

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 16:39

If Steam can be made to work with linux, then porting the game to work with linux won't be a problem.

otherwise you first need to make the game standalone, without bugging it with the achievements and other steam features. You then need to make sure updates can somehow be applied.

Then you need to make sure the game can run without bugs and problems.

I use linux on my second PC and i can say, there will be NO Linux support for this game. Especially if there hasn't been support or any attempt to make any of the other egosoft games Linux Supported.

Linux isn't main stream enough for developers to focus on.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Mon, 17. Oct 11, 03:21

steam and steamworks work just fine in WINE so that ain't an issue. You're right, though, there's no chance this will be a natively supported game - egosoft have had enough hassles with windows sound systems, never mind exposing them to linux!
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

fooka

Post by fooka » Sat, 22. Oct 11, 08:02

:arrow: bump for a linux version.

Seriously, X2 and X3 are ridiculously complicated games.. can you think of a better demographic than Linux users? I just wish it had been native to begin with..

Linux isn't a product, it's a movement. There's no marketing department Building A Brand(tm) for Linux out there (that doesn't put some other name on it too); Linux just is. It's legally allowed to exist as a body of work which anybody has the right to pick up and use, and contribute to.

...and Linux desperately needs games like this.. In particular space flight simulators..

It's not as if it's unheardof as a gaming platform. Look at Minecraft, or the Humble Indie Bundle. Indie devs even seem to instinctively know that Linux gamers pay more.

Whatever though. It's a shame a game with the epic proportions of X-Rebirth won't be played under Linux. It's not as if OpenGL is going anywhere, or isn't the gateway to Mac gamers.

It's also, not as if Linux gamers aren't willing to pay hand over fist FOR native Linux ports. To look at the graphs on humblebundle.com, you'd think there was at least as much money being spent by Linux gamers as there was by Mac gamers..
[/rant]

Anyway, back in reality... I hope it works in WINE, too. =(
-m

Recycle or die.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Sat, 22. Oct 11, 09:57

openGL is only the start of it. DirectX doesn't just give you your 3D system, it gives you your keyboard and controller system and your sound system, for starters.

developing for linux isn't doubling the number of platforms, it's multiplying it. Could it be done? Hell yes! I suppose for egosoft it comes down to effort:reward. How many people would buy the game who won't be planning on running it via windows dual-boot or WINE anyway?

It's worth pointing out that after Valve re-engineered their systems so they could cross-develop on Windows, OSX, Xbox 360 and PS3 simultaneously, they still didn't bother with linux.

Minecraft wasn't targeted at linux; it was targeted at Java's JVM, mainly because that's what the author was familiar with, and partly as a way to get OSX support for "free" that had the side-effect of also getting linux support. This has been a factor in its success as a multiplayer game because it's made it much easier to run servers.

While linux users pay more per person for the humble bundles, they don't contribute the bulk of the money.
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

fooka

@frymaster

Post by fooka » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 00:22

There isn't any argument that adding a Linux port is indeed an additional platform to support. Which is why I point out the humblebundle.com graphs depicting the VALUE of the linux port. I'm not trying to say it will be MORE than Windows, I'm saying it's WORTH the same as, and in some cases more than, a Mac port.

Can it cover the cost of a port? As others have pointed out, that depends on the level of abstraction they've written into their code. If they've enable cross-porting to other platforms (as Valve has done) by isolating game code from rendering code, it might not be a huge deal to maintain alternative ports. Everybody knows it's a mistake to believe that Valve will *never* have a Linux version of Steam and their games.

Also, DirectX is a suite of programming interfaces, yes. You make it sound like there are no standard facilities available for Linux. Pointing out that Minecraft was written to the JVM isn't enough, you still need OpenAL for the sound system and OpenGL for the graphics system, and inputdev for all your io devices, these are just as standard, and cheaper to develop for than DirectX. Yes there are other technicalities, and interfaces. My point is, they're all available, and plenty of games are written against them.

Additionally, consider that the vast majority of games in the Humble Indie Bundle AREN'T java, and yet are ALL available for Linux, so focusing on Minecraft, the exception, also seems like a bad example. Neverthelss, it's not about Minecraft servers. Notch has said, it's available for all platforms because of accessibility. He knows too that there needs to be more games for Linux, you'll find "Notch" in the top 5 contributor to any given humblebundle ever. Seriously, it's not about the server.

Finally, why is everybody so quick to discount the value of a Linux port? In a thread pleading to a closed-source development house to CONSIDER a Linux port (nobody's else is going to plead but gamers, you know), why does it seem like good taste to shoot such pleas down?

If anybody should be shooting holes in pleas for a Linux version of a game, it should be somebody employed by Egosoft, somebody directly related to the fate of X-Rebirth. Some random forum regular pointing out the same tired 53 excuses everybody else and their grandmother drags out of the closet any time anyone considers even maybe thinking about asking for a Linux version of something, just doesn't make any sense. Linux CAN be a target for X-Rebirth, there's NO technical reason why it CANNOT. People need to keep asking nicely for it. That's all PEOPLE can do, just let them.

For those who still use Windows, they will get their precious copy of the game, this isn't about them.

cheers,
Last edited by fooka on Mon, 24. Oct 11, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
-m

Recycle or die.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: @frymaster

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 13:47

fooka wrote: Also, DirectX is a suite of programming interfaces, yes. You make it sound like there are no standard facilities unavailable for Linux. Pointing out that Minecraft was written to the JVM isn't enough, you still need OpenAL for the sound system and OpenGL for the graphics system, and inputdev for all your io devices, these are just as standard, and cheaper to develop for than DirectX. Yes there are other technicalities, and interfaces. My point is, they're all available, and plenty of games are written against them.
not sure y those other methods would be cheaper to develop than DirectX ?

using a single API that does everything would be easier than using lots of seperate API's for each task

personally i've always prefer OpenGL. But DirectX has alot of stuff built in making it easier to create games with.

tero
x4

Post by tero » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 15:43

:?
iirc ES never did a Linux port.
LGP (Linux Game Publishing) asked ES to do a port, and ES agreed to that.
I assume every question about Linux versions should go to LGP.

Correct me if i'm wrong
Waat dat wat? Dat waat wat!

ryeeson
x4

Post by ryeeson » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 16:26

i only saw and play linux back few years ago.. in my opinion, Market value for egosoft to invest to iOS is more likely.

Linux user... just get windows.. hehe

fooka

Post by fooka » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 20:09

Alright well, I guess haters gonna hate..

I still play and LOVE X2 and X3 under Linux. Thanks to LGP. Totally worth it to have these games for Linux. I guess the the buck stops there.

@tero: Egosoft gave Linux Game Publishing the source code so that LGP could port X2 and X3, but I'm sure it wasn't easy, since LGP has even less resources than Egosoft. I doubt they'll come to the same agreement again. There's no point in bothering LGP, they have no special privilege to Egosoft's source.

And no, freedom means choice. Of course there are many interfaces for a free platform, that doesn't mean it's worse than DirectX. It also doesn't mean it's not easier; there are plenty of resources to determine which interfaces are the most appropriate for a given project. But yea, freedom isn't free either, it does take some measure of energy to manifest ports for alternative platforms.

I didn't come here to flamewar, I just came to express my interest in a Linux port. I'm clearly not the only one interested in a Linux port of X-Rebirth, and would gladly pay a premium for it.. Anyone whose played X2 or X3 on linux knows it would be awesome to have X-Rebirth, too.

US$0.02++
-m

Recycle or die.

tero
x4

Post by tero » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 22:38

fooka wrote: @tero: Egosoft gave Linux Game Publishing the source code so that LGP could port X2 and X3, but I'm sure it wasn't easy, since LGP has even less resources than Egosoft. I doubt they'll come to the same agreement again. There's no point in bothering LGP, they have no special privilege to Egosoft's source.
My point is that LGP asked ES, not ES asked LGP :wink:

I would like to see more commercial games for Linux, for me gaming is the only reason to use win#

Oh and i agree too, there is enough 'win vs #nix' flamewar out there. no need to have it here.
Waat dat wat? Dat waat wat!

lordkreps

Post by lordkreps » Mon, 24. Oct 11, 15:36

Vote, XR for linux distributions :thumb_up:

rzadzins
x3ap

Post by rzadzins » Tue, 25. Oct 11, 20:40

fooka wrote::arrow: bump for a linux version.

Seriously, X2 and X3 are ridiculously complicated games.. can you think of a better demographic than Linux users? I just wish it had been native to begin with..
I have to say I never thought about this, but you are absolutely right!
fooka wrote: Finally, why is everybody so quick to discount the value of a Linux port? In a thread pleading to a closed-source development house to CONSIDER a Linux port (nobody's else is going to plead but gamers, you know), why does it seem like good taste to shoot such pleas down?
Again, agree with you sir. It's just sad. It is not like the original game will become richer if the developers focus on a windows-only version - why? - because so far the main value was coming from the community, and nothing beats the linux community, as you wrote in an earlier post.
tero wrote: LGP (Linux Game Publishing) asked ES to do a port, and ES agreed to that.
I assume every question about Linux versions should go to LGP.
Well, I already wrote them an email how much I enjoyed their Linux ports of X games and asked for TC too, for which I got a thank you letter... Linux bumpers - lets do the same! ;)

fooka

Post by fooka » Tue, 25. Oct 11, 23:03

also mention Desura

Desura is like Steam, but they have Linux support too..

http://www.desura.com

cheers,
-m

Recycle or die.

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Wed, 26. Oct 11, 15:18

Have to put my own vote in for a Linux release. X3TC is the only reason I boot up Windows these days.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”